Benefits of Community Schools
Nowhere are the benefits of community schools more apparent than in small, rural towns that rely on community schooling to instill a sense of shared identity. Over the past several decades, the consolidation of schools has affected the benefits of community schools as much, if not more so, than any other factor. This includes the issue of long-haul student bussing, which you can research about in-depth by visiting our Small School Costs page.
You can learn more about the benefits of community schools by reading through the articles below. If you have any questions about the benefits of small schools, we welcome you to contact us directly.
Articles and Research
- No Forced School Closures. Ford, Sean. The Advocate, 2016.
- What We Lose When a Neighborhood School Goes Away. Demby, Gene. NPR, 2015.
- Rural Schools Provide Benefits to Students, Communities. Lawrence-Turner, Jody. The Spokesman-Review, 2015.
- Oaktown Oaks thrived for decades: Small schools kept community alive. Cohen, Jess. Vincennes Sun-Commercial, 2016.
- School Size: Research Based Conclusions. The Rural School and Community Trust, 2003.
- How Closing Schools Hurts Neighborhoods. Strauss, Valerie. The Washington Post, 2013.