Benefits of Small Schools Coalition Membership
“I am so thankful for the Small Schools Coalition! I found a white paper written by Dr. Stuart Grauer online and emailed him some questions I had. He directed me to your website, and also armed me with other papers he had written. This information was so valuable to my research, and gave me very reliable statistics and information that I could include in my presentation to our District Education Council. I must say the community had done its homework and others presented on various topics as well. We ended up with an unanimous vote to keep our school open! Thank you so much for your support and wonderful resource! ” -Crystal Gant, School Administrator
There are important benefits of Small Schools Coalition membership. SSC members receive and may participate in “first-cut” research. Members are eligible to participate in survey research supporting their work, and breaking research illustrating and strengthening the efficacy of small schools. One benefit of Small Schools Coalition membership is that it is free of charge! We have over 300 members from all over the United States and world (we never share your information). If you would like to learn more about becoming a member, please fill out the membership inquiry form. Or, join our Facebook group….
More Benefits of Small Schools Coalition Membership, or “friending” the SSC, include:
- The SSC disseminates regular bulletins which will be of high interest to the constituents of small schools, hence advancing our work.
- As an association, we collect, synthesize, and disseminate findings not only in research, but from our “friend” schools and organizations, raising stature of all SSC schools.
- Consultations: SSC experts will consult or address your organization (planners, school board, parent group, district office) in deliberations over school size. We do not charge (unless you wish us to incur direct expenses like travel consultations).
- We attract, publish and disseminate position papers from and for member schools.
- Our web-based resource library and website archives aspire to be the most complete repository of secondary education small schools research in the world.
- We provide a networked community for like-minded school leaders wishing to share resources and interact.
- Members may post their own web links and logos on the SSC website.
- We serve as a clearinghouse, providing advisement for shared challenge.
- SSC continually engages in efforts to evaluate, understand and define what is essential and efficacious about small school operations.
- SSC offers these benefits at no cost to its members.
We welcome you to visit our friends and members by clicking on their logos below. There you can see how these organizations are advancing the interests of small schools, the families they serve, and the teachers who thrive in this optimal environment. If you are a member and would like your logo, seal and/or link to appear on this page, please contact us.
SSC Members and Friends
Best Small Schools
We are always excited to share information about the best small schools with our friends and visitors. In this regard, we wish extend commendations to a few of the best small schools for setting such fantastic examples for everyone else to follow. Congratulations to these two schools that are recognized as among the top 5 secondary schools in the nation by US News and World Report:
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Economically Disadvantaged Students (% of Total Enrollment): 0.6
Minority Enrollment (% of Total): 3.2
Quality-Adjusted Exams Per Test Taker: 5.7
College Readiness Index: 100.0
SCHOOL FOR THE TALENTED AND GIFTED AT THE YVONNE A. EWELL TOWNVIEW CENTER
Location: Dallas, TX
Economically Disadvantaged Students (% of Total Enrollment): 24.9
Minority Enrollment (% of Total): 51.2
Quality-Adjusted Exams Per Test Taker: 8.0
College Readiness Index: 100.0
Research from Small Schools Proponents
Many researchers, academics and school leaders have done an outstanding job documenting the importance of a small school environment for learning and the cultivation of authentic relationships. We welcome you to dive into the ever-growing body of research small schools proponents have amassed.
- AERO: Education Revolution
- Deborah Meier on Education
- Community Works Journal
- Coalition of Essential Schools
- Diane Ravitch’s Blog: A Site to Discuss Better Education for All
- Dr. Grauer’s Blog Space
- Stuart Grauer’s Medium Posts
- Institute for Humane Education
- Race to Nowhere: The Dark Side of America’s Achievement Culture
- The Service-Learning Digest
- Small Schools Cooperative